Friday, August 24, 2007

Downshifting

I haven't done this little in a long time. I got a good 8 hours of solid sleep. I had some breakfast with Dad and Uncle Fritz. I did some work while Dad napped, but didn't move much from this spot on the couch. The TV was and is still off. I haven't read any news, nor I do I really care what's going on. That's a nice feeling every now and again, to just take things down a notch.

Dad has had to do that too, especially in his recovery. He's still moving forward just fine. But never in my life have I seen him get up at 8-ish, have breakfast, and have to take a 2 hour nap. I know that is part of the body's way of healing and repairing. It's just very odd to see, for someone that you know typically rises early and doesn't do a whole lot of sitting down until the dishes are washed and put away and the nightcap is poured.

Dad is doing well with his recovery. He's been doing the recommended walking and exercise on the treadmill, figuring out how construction cranes work (hell of a project outside the hotel window -- Mom says he was the 'foreman' in the days before the surgery). His appetite has come back strong, and we're just about to go get some lunch.

Mom went home on Wednesday afternoon...and I think that was a big part of the recovery process too -- recovering her world known as home! It should come as no shock to any of us that one of the first things she did was have her hair done. Princess indeed. She's now been home for two nights in her own bed and her own world with a cranky cat and a content dog and her brother Ed. Only thing missing is Dad, and he'll be there soon enough...in fact, one week from today, everyone will be back in South Carolina.

So we continue driving forward, only in a little lower gear that I'm used to. And I'm content to let it all pass by with some time to stare out the window and enjoy watching it all go by.

No comments: