Monday, August 20, 2007

From "The Horses Mouth"

Notes From The Halfway House

Well, yesterday they finally sprung me from the “Big House” to the hotel. Aside from being told I am cancer free, this is one of the happiest days in recent memory.

Obviously I am delighted with the result of my hospital stay and am very appreciative of the excellent care received, but each passing 24 hours became more and more like “Ground Hog Day”, an endless repetition of blood drawings, taking of vital signs, hooking up new IV lines, and various tests. I have grown to love the idea of being awakened several times in the middle of the night to have someone stick more needles in my arms.

“So Happy Together”
The best recollection so far is being able to say goodnight to “Naaan” (wife Nancy) and awaking to say good morning to her in the same bed.

“Up Your Nose With A Rubber Hose”
The worst experience is being awake while a couple of nurses wrestle a hose to drain your stomach through your nose. You don’t want any more details.

I will now stay at the hotel through August 28th. Nanc will return to Greenville on Wednesday the 22nd to make sure we still have our house, business, and dog and cat. My stay here will variously accompanied by my brothers Fritz and Tom, and sons Todd and Darin. Tom will drive me home on the 29th.

On the 28th I will:

Have the final external drain tube removed

Learn how to drain my new bladder

Find out from the Oncologist if I will need Chemo upon returning home (my surgeon doesn’t think I will but perhaps it will be a preventative measure)

I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, I know they have helped both Nanc and I get though this. I am looking at some 6 weeks of recovery, regaining strength to the point that “The Legend” can add more antidotes to his storied past.

Love you all, Chook

6 comments:

Uncle Ted said...

Antidotes & anecdotes, it's all good.

I love you Dad.

--T--

Darin M. Gladfelter said...

So now that you're cancer free can we expect you to go on to win like 8 Tour De Frances?

-DG-

Student of Life said...

So glad to read you haven't lost your sense of humor during this ordeal. Keep on truckin!

Unknown said...

Chuck, you are made of awesome.

Anonymous said...

chuck:
i am so happy to hear all is moving
forward. i am sure you are anxious to get back home and now you are one step closer. now the days will fly because you aren't coped up in the hospital. all the best.
paula z. in chicago

Anonymous said...

Dad,
I'm so glad you're out of that big kennel they had you in.
I can't wait for you to get home so I can tell you about all the friends I've made while you've been gone. That, and a nice long heart to heart with you petting me A LOT!
See you, but not soon enough,
Harley